Sustainability in Business
Ham Produce and Seafood has made a long term commitment to sustainability in Business. Through all phases of our business operations we have taken steps to align our whole operations with green business practices. As you will see below, there are many facets for an operation our size. We are committed to doing this for all our families and the whole community while managing to still providing competitive prices for all of our Oahu clients.
Recycling Excess Produce
Sustainability through waste reduction programs and energy savings measures have allowed us to be able to provide high quality products while reducing the impact on the environment. Striving to make a difference through sustainability and give back to the communities is part of our company philosophy. We believe that prosperous communities will bring a prosperous planet.
Every little difference helps! In our continued efforts to minimize our carbon footprint, below are a few waste reduction measures we have implemented for our own internal recycling programs.
- Much of our unused raw materials are donated to the Hawaii Food Bank.
- Excess raw materials are reduced and prepared for local pig farms.
- also given to local farmers who recycle as compost.
All business generate a significant amount of waste. Ham Produce and Seafood is not different. We have implemented system to help increase our commitment to a sustainable environment.
We are always searching for better ways to recycle. We recycle approximately 25 tons of corrugated cardboard boxes annually. This reduces packaging costs and lesser impact on the environment.
Being that we live on an island, local sustainability is vital to our company philosophy. Not only does sourcing products locally help our economy, it reduces the food miles of our raw materials and ensures our consumers receive the freshest products available.
We believe that the fewer miles our raw materials have to travel to reach your hands, the fresher and more nutritious your purchase will be. It is with this philosophy in mind that we have developed close ties with local growers i.e. Aloun Farms, Sugardland Farms, Hilo Products, Maui Farmers Exchange.
Our commitment to provide with the finest quality products begins with sourcing. All items are carefully sourced with full knowledge of times of peak harvests and seasonal locations of growing cycles. From the farms to your table, you can see and taste the premium quality and freshness of our products.
Locally Grown Program
In our ongoing mission to provide local products, HAM has been working very closely with Don Quijote Stores Hawaii and developed the “Locally Grown Program”. In the summer months, we have provided all local DQ stores locally grown melon products including a variety of local Watermelons, Cantaloupes, and Honeydews. HAM has been servicing DQ for over two decades and together we consider this program a success.
By taking advantage of the newest research, technology, and innovation, we are continuously working towards new solutions to providing the safest and highest quality products to consumers at the most competitive pricing possible. Our chill storage facilities have state of the art insulation panels, energy saving LED lighting, and also equipped with energy efficient fans allowing us to minimize operating costs.
- WE have taken advantage of all the possible solutions from Solar Panels to choosing the most efficient cold storage to make our office and the whole facilities the most efficient as possible.
- Our delivery fleet consists of all refrigerated high cube trucks to ensure consistent cold temperatures and maintain freshness. With new technological innovations, these trucks outperform with significantly better fuel economy. The new emissions technology allows maximized fuel efficiency reducing running costs; also achieving cleaner air and a greener environment. The BlueTec systems allowed the elimination of much of the EGR in that vehicle’s engine, which as a result gives 188 horsepower (140 kilowatts) compared to the non-BlueTec engine’s 154 horsepower (115 kilowatts).[
- Energy efficient LED lighting helps save electricity not only with lower energy consumption, but lower heat and less need for air conditioning.
state of the art energy efficient chill storage facilities
Cold Chain Sustainability
The cold chain sustainability refers to all of the handling procedures along a product’s lifecycle from the time of harvest to the time of consumption. Extensive efforts are made to keep the product cold at its ideal temperature from the moment of harvest, receiving, storage, and delivery. All products are continuously monitored upon receipt and inspected once more before reaching your door. Bottom line, we keep it cold to provide it to you fresh.